1. the territory occupied by a nation;"he returned to the land of his birth""he visited several European countries"
2. a politically organized body of people under a single government;"the state has elected a new president""African nations""students who had come to the nation's capitol""the country's largest manufacturer""an industrialized land"
3. the people who live in a nation or country;"a statement that sums up the nation's mood""the news was announced to the nation""the whole country worshipped him"
4. an area outside of cities and towns;"his poetry celebrated the slower pace of life in the country"
5. a particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography);"it was a mountainous area""Bible country"