1. education imparted in a series of lessons or class meetings;"he took a course in basket weaving""flirting is not unknown in college classes"
2. a connected series of events or actions or developments;"the government took a firm course""historians can only point out those lines for which evidence is available"
3. facility consisting of a circumscribed area of land or water laid out for a sport;"the course had only nine holes""the course was less than a mile"
4. a mode of action;"if you persist in that course you will surely fail""once a nation is embarked on a course of action it becomes extremely difficult for any retraction to take place"
5. a line or route along which something travels or moves;"the hurricane demolished houses in its path""the track of an animal""the course of the river"
6. general line of orientation;"the river takes a southern course""the northeastern trend of the coast"
7. part of a meal served at one time;"she prepared a three course meal"
8. (construction) a layer of masonry;"a course of bricks"