1. a sense of concern with and curiosity about someone or something;"an interest in music"
2. the power of attracting or holding one's interest (because it is unusual or exciting etc.);"they said nothing of great interest""primary colors can add interest to a room"
3. a reason for wanting something done;"for your sake""died for the sake of his country""in the interest of safety""in the common interest"
4. a fixed charge for borrowing money; usually a percentage of the amount borrowed;"how much interest do you pay on your mortgage?"
5. a diversion that occupies one's time and thoughts (usually pleasantly);"sailing is her favorite pastime""his main pastime is gambling""he counts reading among his interests""they criticized the boy for his limited pursuits"
6. (law) a right or legal share of something; a financial involvement with something;"they have interests all over the world""a stake in the company's future"
7. (usually plural) a social group whose members control some field of activity and who have common aims;"the iron interests stepped up production"