1. forsake, leave behind;"We abandoned the old car in the empty parking lot"
2. stop maintaining or insisting on; of ideas, claims, etc.;"He abandoned the thought of asking for her hand in marriage""Both sides have to give up some calims in these negociations"
3. give up with the intent of never claiming again;"Abandon your life to God""She gave up her children to her ex-husband when she moved to Tahiti""We gave the drowning victim up for dead"
4. leave behind empty; move out of;"You must vacate your office by tonight"
5. leave someone who needs or counts on you; leave in the lurch;"The mother deserted her children"