1. a concept or idea not associated with any specific instance;"he loved her only in the abstract--not in person"
2. a sketchy summary of the main points of an argument or theory
1. consider a concept without thinking of a specific example; consider abstractly or theoretically
2. make off with belongings of others
3. consider apart from a particular case or instance;"Let's abstract away from this particular example"
4. give an abstract (of)
1. existing only in the mind; separated from embodiment;"abstract words like `truth' and `justice'"
2. not representing or imitating external reality or the objects of nature;"a large abstract painting"
3. based on specialized theory;"a theoretical analysis"
4. dealing with a subject in the abstract without practical purpose or intention;"abstract reasoning""abstract science"