1. a convincing explanation that reveals basic causes;"he was unable to give a clear accounting for his actions"
2. a system that provides quantitative information about finances
3. the occupation of maintaining and auditing records and preparing financial reports for a business
4. a bookkeeper's chronological list of related debits and credits of a business; forms part of a ledger of accounts
5. a statement of recent transactions and the resulting balance;"they send me an accounting every month"