1. move forward, also in the metaphorical sense;"Time marches on"
2. bring forward for consideration or acceptance;"advance an argument"
3. increase or raise;"boost the voltage in an electrical circuit"
4. contribute to the progress or growth of;"I am promoting the use of computers in the classroom"
5. cause to move forward;"Can you move the car seat forward?"
6. obtain advantages, such as points, etc.;"The home team was gaining ground""After defeating the Knicks, the Blazers pulled ahead of the Lakers in the battle for the number-one playoff berth in the Western Conference"
7. develop in a positive way;"He progressed well in school""My plants are coming along""Plans are shaping up"
8. develop further;"We are advancing technology every day"
9. give a promotion to or assign to a higher position;"John was kicked upstairs when a replacement was hired""Women tend not to advance in the major law firms""I got promoted after many years of hard work"
10. pay in advance;"Can you advance me some money?"
11. move forward;"we have to advance clocks and watches when we travel eastward"
12. rise in rate or price;"The stock market gained 24 points today"