1. cause to change; make different; cause a transformation;"The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city""The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue"
2. make or become different in some particular way, without permanently losing one's or its former characteristics or essence;"her mood changes in accordance with the weather""The supermarket's selection of vegetables varies according to the season"
3. make an alteration to;"This dress needs to be altered"
4. insert words into texts, often falsifying it thereby
5. remove the ovaries of;"Is your cat spayed?"