1. the act of putting a person into a non-elective position;"the appointment had to be approved by the whole committee"
2. a meeting arranged in advance;"she asked how to avoid kissing at the end of a date"
3. (usually plural) furnishings and equipment (especially for a ship or hotel)
4. a person who is appointed to a job or position
5. the job to which you are (or hope to be) appointed;"he applied for an appointment in the treasury"
6. (law) the act of disposing of property by virtue of the power of appointment;"she allocated part of the trust to her church by appointment"