1. change the nature, purpose, or function of something;"convert lead into gold""convert hotels into jails""convert slaves to laborers"
2. change from one system to another or to a new plan or policy;"We converted from 220 to 110 Volt"
3. change religious beliefs, or adopt a religious belief;"She converted to Buddhism"
4. exchange or replace with another, usually of the same kind or category;"Could you convert my dollars into pounds?""He changed his name""convert centimeters into inches""convert holdings into shares"
5. cause to adopt a new or different faith;"The missionaries converted the Indian population"
6. score an extra point or points after touchdown by kicking the ball through the uprights or advancing the ball into the endzone;"Smith converted and his team won"
7. complete successfully;"score a penalty shot or free throw"
8. score (a spare)
9. make (someone) agree, understand, or realize the truth or validity of something;"He had finally convinced several customers of the advantages of his product"
10. exchange a penalty for a less severe one
11. change in nature, purpose, or function; especially undergo a chemical change;"The substance converts to an acid"