1. act of improving by expanding or enlarging or refining;"he congratulated them on their development of a plan to meet the emergency""they funded research and development"
2. a process in which something passes by degrees to a different stage (especially a more advanced or mature stage);"the development of his ideas took many years""the evolution of Greek civilization""the slow development of her skill as a writer"
3. a recent event that has some relevance for the present situation;"recent developments in Iraq""what a revolting development!"
4. the act of making some area of land or water more profitable or productive or useful;"the development of Alaskan resources""the exploitation of copper deposits"
5. a district that has been developed to serve some purpose;"such land is practical for small park developments"
6. a state in which things are improving; the result of developing (as in the early part of a game of chess);"after he saw the latest development he changed his mind and became a supporter""in chess your should take care of your development before moving your queen"
7. (biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically; a purely biological unfolding of events involved in an organism changing gradually from a simple to a more complex level;"he proposed an indicator of osseous development in children"
8. processing a photosensitive material in order to make an image visible;"the development and printing of his pictures took only two hours"