1. the act of applying force to propel something;"after reaching the desired velocity the drive is cut off"
2. a mechanism by which force or power is transmitted in a machine;"a variable speed drive permitted operation through a range of speeds"
3. a series of actions advancing a principle or tending toward a particular end;"he supported populist campaigns""they worked in the cause of world peace""the team was ready for a drive toward the pennant""the movement to end slavery""contributed to the war effort"
4. a road leading up to a private house;"they parked in the driveway"
5. the trait of being highly motivated;"his drive and energy exhausted his co-workers"
6. hitting a golf ball off of a tee with a driver;"he sliced his drive out of bounds"
7. the act of driving a herd of animals overland
8. a journey in a vehicle driven by someone else;"he took the family for a drive in his new car"
9. a physiological state corresponding to a strong need or desire
10. (computer science) a device that writes data onto or reads data from a storage medium
11. a wide scenic road planted with trees;"the riverside drive offers many exciting scenic views"
12. (sports) a hard straight return (as in tennis or squash)
1. operate or control a vehicle;"drive a car or bus""Can you drive this four-wheel truck?"
2. travel or be transported in a vehicle;"We drove to the university every morning""They motored to London for the theater"
3. cause someone or something to move by driving;"She drove me to school every day""We drove the car to the garage"
4. force into or from an action or state, either physically or metaphorically;"She rammed her mind into focus""He drives me mad"
5. to compel or force or urge relentlessly or exert coercive pressure on, or motivate strongly;"She is driven by her passion"
6. cause to move back by force or influence;"repel the enemy""push back the urge to smoke""beat back the invaders"
7. compel somebody to do something, often against his own will or judgment;"She finally drove him to change jobs"
8. push, propel, or press with force;"Drive a nail into the wall"
9. cause to move rapidly by striking or throwing with force;"drive the ball far out into the field"
10. strive and make an effort to reach a goal;"She tugged for years to make a decent living""We have to push a little to make the deadline!""She is driving away at her doctoral thesis"
11. move into a desired direction of discourse;"What are you driving at?"
12. have certain properties when driven;"This car rides smoothly""My new truck drives well"
13. work as a driver;"He drives a bread truck""She drives for the taxi company in Newark"
14. move by being propelled by a force;"The car drove around the corner"
15. urge forward;"drive the cows into the barn"
16. proceed along in a vehicle;"We drive the turnpike to work"
17. strike with a driver, as in teeing off;"drive a golfball"
18. hit very hard and straight with the bat swinging more or less vertically;"drive a ball"
19. excavate horizontally;"drive a tunnel"
20. cause to function by supplying the force or power for or by controlling;"The amplifier drives the tube""steam drives the engines""this device drives the disks for the computer"
21. hunting: search for game;"drive the forest"
22. hunting: chase from cover into more open ground;"drive the game"