1. a social unit living together;"he moved his family to Virginia""It was a good Christian household""I waited until the whole house was asleep""the teacher asked how many people made up his home"
2. primary social group; parents and children;"he wanted to have a good job before starting a family"
3. people descended from a common ancestor;"his family has lived in Massachusetts since the Mayflower"
4. a collection of things sharing a common attribute;"there are two classes of detergents"
5. an association of people who share common beliefs or activities;"the message was addressed not just to employees but to every member of the company family""the church welcomed new members into its fellowship"
6. (biology) a taxonomic group containing one or more genera;"sharks belong to the fish family"
7. a person having kinship with another or others;"he's kin""he's family"
8. a loose affiliation of gangsters in charge of organized criminal activities