If something is fixed somewhere, it is attached there firmly or securely.
It is fixed on the wall...
Most blinds can be fixed directly to the top of the window-frame...
If you fix something, for example a date, price, or policy, you decide and say exactly what it will be.
He's going to fix a time when I can see him...
The date of the election was fixed...
If you fix something for someone, you arrange for it to happen or you organize it for them.
I've fixed it for you to see Bonnie Lachlan...
It's fixed. He's going to meet us at the airport...
If you fix something which is damaged or which does not work properly, you repair it.
He cannot fix the electricity...
If something is broken, we get it fixed.
If you fix a problem or a bad situation, you deal with it and make it satisfactory.
It's not too late to fix the problem, although time is clearly getting short...
Fixing a 40-year-old wrong does not mean, however, that history can be undone.
You can refer to a solution to a problem as a fix .
Many of those changes could just be a temporary fix.
If you fix your eyes on someone or something or if your eyes fix on them, you look at them with complete attention.
She fixes her steel-blue eyes on an unsuspecting local official...
Her soft brown eyes fixed on Kelly...
If you fix someone with a particular kind of expression, you look at them in that way.
He took her hand and fixed her with a look of deep concern...
He fixed me with a lopsided grin.
If you fix your attention on someone or something, you think about them with complete attention.
Fix your attention on the practicalities of financing your schemes...
Attention is fixed on the stock market...
If someone or something is fixed in your mind, you remember them well, for example because they are very important, interesting, or unusual.
Leonard was now fixed in his mind...
Amy watched the child's intent face eagerly, trying to fix it in her mind.
If someone fixes a gun, camera, or radar on something, they point it at that thing.
The US crew fixed its radar on the Turkish ship...
The bore of the gun remained fixed on me.
If you fix the position of something, you find out exactly where it is, usually by using radar or electronic equipment.
He had not been able to fix his position...
The satellite fixes positions by making repeated observations of each star.
If you get a fix on someone or something, you have a clear idea or understanding of them.
It's been hard to get a steady fix on what's going on.
If you fix some food or a drink for someone, you make it or prepare it for them.
Sarah fixed some food for us...
Let me fix you a drink...
If you fix your hair, clothes, or make-up, you arrange or adjust them so you look neat and tidy, showing you have taken care with your appearance.
'I've got to fix my hair,' I said and retreated to my bedroom...
She called a cab, fixed her face, and scrawled a hasty note to Brian.
If you have your teeth fixed, you have treatment from a dentist to make your teeth even, straight, and white.
The PR man suggested that I might benefit from getting my teeth fixed...
I wonder if Tom ever had his teeth fixed anywhere else.
If someone fixes a race, election, contest, or other event, they make unfair or illegal arrangements or use deception to affect the result.
They offered opposing players bribes to fix a decisive league match against Valenciennes...
We didn't 'fix' anything. It'll be seen as it happens...
If you accuse someone of fixing prices, you accuse them of making unfair arrangements to charge a particular price for something, rather than allowing market forces to decide it.
...a suspected cartel that had fixed the price of steel for the construction market...
The company is currently in dispute with the government over price fixing.
An injection of an addictive drug such as heroin can be referred to as a fix .
You can use fix to refer to an amount of something which a person gets or wants and which helps them physically or psychologically to survive.
It turned the country into an 'aid junkie', heavily dependent on its annual fix of dollars...
I need my fix of sugar, sweets, and chocolate...
If you are in a fix, you are in a difficult situation, especially one that you have caused for yourself.
He was in a fix...
The government has really got itself into a fix...
To fix something such as a dye or photographic image means to treat it with chemicals so that it does not lose its colour or disappear.
Certain pigment colours were painted on to dry plaster using tempera (where egg yolk is used to fix the pigment)...
The main aim of inbreeding is to standardise, to fix desirable inherited characteristics and to dispel undesirable ones.
If you say that you will fix someone, you mean that you will stop their activities permanently.
That'll fix him.
If you say that you are fixing to do something, you mean that you are planning or intending to do it.
I'm fixing to go to graduate school...
He would know when I was fixing to leave. He'd wait by the front door.
If you fix on a particular thing, you decide that it is the one you want and will have.
The Vietnamese government has fixed on May 19th to celebrate his anniversary.
If you fix something up, you arrange it.
I fixed up an appointment to see her...
Accommodation is never fixed up in advance.
If you fix something up, you do work that is necessary in order to make it more suitable or attractive.
I've fixed up Matthew's old room...
The whole block is being fixed up.
If you fix someone up with something they need, you provide it for them.
We'll fix him up with a tie...
He was fixed up with a job.
1. informal terms for a difficult situation;"he got into a terrible fix""he made a muddle of his marriage"
2. something craved, especially an intravenous injection of a narcotic drug;"she needed a fix of chocolate"
3. the act of putting something in working order again
4. an exemption granted after influence (e.g., money) is brought to bear;"collusion resulted in tax fixes for gamblers"
5. a determination of the location of something;"he got a good fix on the target"
1. restore by replacing a part or putting together what is torn or broken;"She repaired her TV set""Repair my shoes please"
2. cause to be firmly attached;"fasten the lock onto the door""she fixed her gaze on the man"
3. decide upon or fix definitely;"fix the variables""specify the parameters"
4. prepare for eating by applying heat;"Cook me dinner, please""can you make me an omelette?""fix breakfast for the guests, please"
5. take vengeance on or get even;"We'll get them!""That'll fix him good!""This time I got him"
6. set or place definitely;"Let's fix the date for the party!"
7. kill, preserve, and harden (tissue) in order to prepare for microscopic study
8. make fixed, stable or stationary;"let's fix the picture to the frame"
9. make infertile;"in some countries, people with genetically transmissible disbilites are sterilized"
10. put (something somewhere) firmly;"She posited her hand on his shoulder""deposit the suitcase on the bench""fix your eyes on this spot"
11. make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc;"Get the children ready for school!""prepare for war""I was fixing to leave town after I paid the hotel bill"