1. the person or thing chosen or selected;"he was my pick for mayor"
2. the quantity of a crop that is harvested;"he sent the first picking of berries to the market""it was the biggest peach pick in years"
3. the best people or things in a group;"the cream of England's young men were killed in the Great War"
4. the yarn woven across the warp yarn in weaving
5. a small thin device (of metal or plastic or ivory) used to pluck a stringed instrument
6. a thin sharp implement used for picking;"he used a pick to clean dirt out of the cracks"
7. a heavy iron tool with a wooden handle and a curved head that is pointed on both ends;"they used picks and sledges to break the rocks"
8. a basketball maneuver; obstructing an opponent with one's body;"he was called for setting an illegal pick"
9. the act of choosing or selecting;"your choice of colors was unfortunate""you can take your pick"
1. select carefully from a group;"She finally picked her successor""He picked his way carefully"
2. look for and gather;"pick mushrooms""pick flowers"
3. harass with constant criticism;"Don't always pick on your little brother"
4. provoke;"pick a fight or a quarrel"
5. remove in small bits;"pick meat from a bone"
6. remove unwanted substances from, such as feathers or pits;"Clean the turkey"
7. pilfer or rob;"pick pockets"
8. pay for something;"pick up the tab""pick up the burden of high-interest mortgages""foot the bill"
9. pull lightly but sharply with a plucking motion;"he plucked the strings of his mandolin"
10. attack with or as if with a pickaxe of ice or rocky ground, for example;"Pick open the ice"
11. hit lightly with a picking motion
12. eat intermittently; take small bites of;"He pieced at the sandwich all morning""She never eats a full meal--she just nibbles"