1. a separate part of a whole;"an important piece of the evidence"
2. an item that is an instance of some type;"he designed a new piece of equipment""she bought a lovely piece of china";
3. a portion of a natural object;"they analyzed the river into three parts""he needed a piece of granite"
4. a musical work that has been created;"the composition is written in four movements"
5. an instance of some kind;"it was a nice piece of work""he had a bit of good luck"
6. an artistic or literary composition;"he wrote an interesting piece on Iran""the children acted out a comic piece to amuse the guests"
7. a portable gun;"he wore his firearm in a shoulder holster"
8. a serving that has been cut from a larger portion;"a piece of pie""a slice of bread"
9. a distance;"it is down the road a piece"
10. a work of art of some artistic value;"this store sells only objets d'art""it is not known who created this piece"
11. a period of indeterminate length (usually short) marked by some action or condition;"he was here for a little while""I need to rest for a piece""a spell of good weather""a patch of bad weather"
12. a share of something;"a slice of the company's revenue"
13. game equipment consisting of an object used in playing certain board games;"he taught me to set up the men on the chess board""he sacrificed a piece to get a strategic advantage"