1. keep or maintain in unaltered condition; cause to remain or last;"preserve the peace in the family""continue the family tradition""Carry on the old traditions"
2. keep in safety and protect from harm, decay, loss, or destruction;"We preserve these archeological findings""The old lady could not keep up the building""children must be taught to conserve our national heritage""The museum curator conserved the ancient manuscripts"
3. to keep up and reserve for personal or special use;"She saved the old family photographs in a drawer"
4. prevent (food) from rotting;"preserved meats""keep potatoes fresh"
5. maintain in safety from injury, harm, or danger;"May God keep you"
6. keep undisturbed for personal or private use for hunting, shooting, or fishing;"preserve the forest and the lakes"