1. a principle or condition that customarily governs behavior;"it was his rule to take a walk before breakfast""short haircuts were the regulation"
2. something regarded as a normative example;"the convention of not naming the main character""violence is the rule not the exception""his formula for impressing visitors"
3. prescribed guide for conduct or action
4. (linguistics) a rule describing (or prescribing) a linguistic practice
5. a basic generalization that is accepted as true and that can be used as a basis for reasoning or conduct;"their principles of composition characterized all their works"
6. a rule or law concerning a natural phenomenon or the function of a complex system;"the principle of the conservation of mass""the principle of jet propulsion""the right-hand rule for inductive fields"
7. the duration of a monarch's or government's power;"during the rule of Elizabeth"
8. dominance or power through legal authority;"France held undisputed dominion over vast areas of Africa""the rule of Caesar"
9. directions that define the way a game or sport is to be conducted;"he knew the rules of chess"
10. any one of a systematic body of regulations defining the way of life of members of a religious order;"the rule of St. Dominic"
11. (mathematics) a standard procedure for solving a class of mathematical problems;"he determined the upper bound with Descartes' rule of signs""he gave us a general formula for attacking polynomials"
12. measuring stick consisting of a strip of wood or metal or plastic with a straight edge that is used for drawing straight lines and measuring lengths
1. exercise authority over; as of nations;"Who is governing the country now?"
2. decide with authority;"The King decreed that all first-born males should be killed"
3. be larger in number, quantity, power, status or importance;"Money reigns supreme here""Hispanics predominate in this neighborhood"
4. decide on and make a declaration about;"find someone guilty"
5. have an affinity with; of signs of the zodiac
6. mark or draw with a ruler;"rule the margins"
7. keep in check;"rule one's temper"