1. the act of moving hurriedly and in a careless manner;"in his haste to leave he forgot his book"
2. a sudden forceful flow
3. grasslike plants growing in wet places and having cylindrical often hollow stems
4. the swift release of a store of affective force;"they got a great bang out of it""what a boot!""he got a quick rush from injecting heroin""he does it for kicks"
5. a sudden burst of activity;"come back after the rush"
6. (American football) an attempt to advance the ball by running into the line;"the linebackers were ready to stop a rush"