1. 1/60 of a minute; the basic unit of time adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites
2. an indefinitely short time;"wait just a moment""it only takes a minute""in just a bit"
3. the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near 2nd base
4. a particular point in time;"the moment he arrived the party began"
5. following the first in an ordering or series;"he came in a close second"
6. a 60th part of a minute of arc;"the treasure is 2 minutes and 45 seconds south of here"
7. the official attendant of a contestant in a duel or boxing match
8. a speech seconding a motion;"do I hear a second?"
9. the gear that has the second lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle;"he had to shift down into second to make the hill"
10. merchandise that has imperfections; usually sold at a reduced price without the brand name