1. an event in which something is displaced without rotation
2. a qualitative change
3. the time period during which you are at work
4. the act of changing one thing or position for another;"his switch on abortion cost him the election"
5. the act of moving from one place to another;"his constant shifting disrupted the class"
6. (geology) a crack in the earth's crust resulting from the displacement of one side with respect to the other;"they built it right over a geological fault"
7. a group of workers who work for a specific period of time
8. a woman's sleeveless undergarment
9. a loose-fitting dress hanging straight from the shoulders without a waist
1. make a shift in or exchange of;"First Joe led; then we switched"
2. change place or direction;"Shift one's position"
3. move around;"transfer the packet from his trouser pockets to a pocket in his jacket"
4. move very slightly;"He shifted in his seat"
5. move from one setting or context to another;"shift the emphasis""shift one's attention"
6. change in quality;"His tone shifted"
7. move and exchange for another;"shift the date for our class reunion"
8. move sideways or in an unsteady way;"The ship careened out of control"
9. move abruptly;"The ship suddenly lurched to the left"
10. use a shift key on a keyboard;"She could not shift so all ther letters are written in lower case"
11. change phonetically as part of a systematic historical change;"Grimm showed how the consonants shifted"
12. change gears;"you have to shift when you go down a steep hill"
13. lay aside, abandon, or leave for another;"switch to a different brand of beer""She switched psychiatrists""The car changed lanes"